Undergraduate Chemistry Minor

The Chemical Sciences occupy a central position in today's rapidly developing world of science and technology. The fundamentals of Chemistry are based on an understanding of the composition and properties of matter, of the interconversions of one form of matter to another form. An understanding of these fundamentals leads one to the greater realm of the Sciences, where one attempts to understand such diverse topics as chemical biology, the synthesis of new forms of matter from pharmaceuticals to new materials, the chemical phenomena of the human environment, and an in depth comprehension of the chemical physics of matter. A student who completes the Chemistry Minor will have acquired a valuable introduction to this most central of the sciences.

Requirements for the Minor

All courses for the minor must be completed for a letter grade of C or better or S. All students must complete a minimum of 8 upper division credits in CHE 300-level or chemistry research courses in residence at Stony Brook in order to qualify for the minor. The minor is not open to Engineering Chemistry majors.

Completion of the minor requires 22 credits including:

A. General Chemistry lecture sequence
CHE 129 - 132 or CHE 131 - 132 or CHE 141 - 142

B. General Chemistry laboratory sequence
CHE 133 - 134 or CHE 143 - 144

C. 12 credits of CHE 300 level courses or CHE research (CHE 487, CHE 495, or CHE 496)

Special restriction: A minimum of 9 upper-division CHE 300- or 400-level credits must be earned in courses not required for the student's major. Depending upon the major some of these 9 credits may be used as partial fulfillment of requirement C. This restriction will apply to all majors, including majors in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemical and Molecular Engineering, and Pharmacology.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do to sign up?
Just stop by the Chemistry main office on the first floor of the chemistry building and speak to an advisor. There is one simple form to sign. The only requirement is that you must declare your actual major first.

When should I sign up?
As early in your career as possible is best, because that way you will have plenty of time to meet the requirements. However, you can still sign up in you senior year if you have taken the required courses.

Does research count toward the Minor?
Research in the Chemistry Department, CHE 487, CHE 495, or CHE 496 counts.

Does the undergraduate teaching practicum count?
The undergraduate teaching practicum courses, CHE 475 and 476 , will not count toward the 22 credit requirement, but they will count toward the 9 credit special restriction rule. Many of our undergraduate TAs in the general chemistry and organic courses do become Chemistry Minors.

What courses should I take?
Most minors take the organic chemistry CHE 321 and CHE 326 lecture courses plus the CHE 327 laboratory. Combined with general chemistry this gives a student 20 credits. These courses also correspond to the normal pre-med chemistry requirements. For the additional required credits you have lots of choices.

Many students elect to take additional organic chemistry. CHE 345: Structure and Reactivity in Organic Chemistry or CHE 348 : Reaction Mechanisms in Organic Chemistry are good choices.

Students interested in biochemistry may wish to take CHE 346 : Biomolecular Structure and Reactivity.

Biology or Pharmacology majors may wish to take CHE 312: Physical Chemistry (Short Course). That is the physical chemistry course designed for Biochemistry majors. If you are a Biochemistry major you might wish to take CHE 301 - 302 : Physical Chemistry I and II instead of taking CHE 312 .

Another good course for anyone is CHE 310: Chemistry in Technology and the Environment. CHE 310 will also meet your DEC H requirement.